Booth Event Best Practices
Let’s talk booth events!!! Booth events are one of the most fun aspects of my business. I love doing booths and have found a ton of success when having a booth at the right events in my community. Before we dive in, go read the UBAM booth policy to make sure you’re clear on the policies in place on booths. These policies are put in place to make sure we *ALL* have successful events — yourself included!
Why add a booth event to your calendar? Booth events allow you to find new customers, hostesses and team members! Many times you get stuck in your friend circle and events are a great way to break out of that circle. It’s also a great way to get out in your community and share what you love to do with others. While booking parties is a priority at a booth, you also have the potential for a very profitable event.
Where do you find booth events? So many places! Go search on facebook for upcoming events in your community. My personal criteria for selecting a booth is: 1) family-friendly, kid-oriented events, 2) traffic – how many people will be in attendance and 3) vendor fee. Before signing up for an event, ask questions and make sure it’s a good fit for you! Check out this video from last fall about finding booth events.
What do you need to bring?
- Square card reader (it’s free!)
- 1-3 tables (depending on booth size)
- Racks, cubes, branded boxes, bookshelves to display books
- Lead forms for raffle entry
- Jar or bucket for a raffle
- Catalogs with your contact information
- Calculator (or use your phone)
- Usborne Banner
- Cash Box or Zipper Pouch with $80-100 in change
- Your calendar – know your availability to book parties
- Booking incentives (Booking Bags are fun!)
- Business Cards
- Flyers, Brochures on the Biz Opportunity
- Receipt Slips (I use square for this so I’m paperless!)
- Order Forms
- BOOKS! (Cash & Carry Inventory, Consignment or Sample Books from your Starter Kit or personal collection)
- Plastic Bags
- Signage (Specials, Box Sets, Special Features)
- Canopy for Outdoor Events
- Kids activities
How do you get guests in your booth? Have some eye candy! My go-to is busy books on a bright green cart. It captures adults and kids attention. Setting up a kids activities table might also invite them in. Once someone is lurking outside your booth, invite your guests in. Everyone enjoys an invitation. Once guests are in your booth, be helpful and offer recommendations. Also, give them their space while they’re browsing! Be sure to mention your raffle and invite them to enter.
How do I follow up with guests after a booth? I typically follow up with my “hot leads” within 24 hours. All of my leads get added to my email sequence in ConvertKit to nurture that relationship and stay in front of them over time!
Most of all, HAVE FUN!