Get Your Own Web Address
The fine-print: This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links and make a purchase I’ll receive a small commission at no additional expense to you. See the full affiliate disclosure in the footer for more info.
Would you like a more professional and easy to remember web address (such as http://beckysbook.club) rather than your home office provided web address (such as https://n4143.myubam.com)? An easy to remember web address (also called a domain name) looks more professional and is easier for your customers to remember. Follow the steps below to get your own web address that re-directs to your home office provided web site.
Don’t forget to check out the FAQs at the end of this post for answers to frequently asked questions and other helpful information!
1. Head over to uniregistry.com and search for the domain name you would like or use the search box below to get started. Not sure what domain name to use? Your first and last name is always a great option (i.e. firstnamelastname.com)!
2. If the domain name is available you will be able to checkout. If the domain name is not available a list of available alternates will be shown. Once you find a domain name that is available, click the Checkout button.
3. Complete the checkout process.
After you have purchased the domain name, follow the instructions below to forward (redirect) it to your home office provided website.
4. Click the down-arrow next to Account then click My Domain Names.
5. Click on the domain name you would like to forward.
6. Click the link button to forward your domain to another website.
7. Type in the address of the website you would like to forward your domain name to and click Continue.
8. Select the option to forward the full domain then click Link to Website.
9. A Congratulations message will pop up. Click Close.
10. Test your settings by typing your new domain name into your web browser and verifying that it forwards properly to your home office provided website. It could take a few minutes for the servers to be updated and the forwarding to work properly.
Have any questions or comments on how to set this up for your page? Let us know in the comments below or send us a message.
Why do you prefer Uniregistry over other domain registrars like GoDaddy?
Uniregistry has a very intuitive and easy to use interface. They also offer free domain privacy with their Privacy.Link feature which hides your personal contact info from the WHOIS database which is a database that lists the owner’s contact info for all domain names. GoDaddy charges additional fees if you want domain privacy and they also bombard you will other up-sells you don’t need when doing a simple re-direct like we set up in this blog post.
Is there anything else I can do with my new web address / domain name? Subdomains?
You can also setup subdomains if you want to setup different web addresses related to your main web address, but pointing to different pages. For example, we have beckysbook.club redirected to Becky’s Usborne site https://n4143.myubam.com/. A subdomain is a portion of the web address before the main domain (subdomain.beckysbook.club). For example, we have the subdomain “training” (training.beckysbook.club) setup to redirect to this website.
Ways subdomains may come in handy are for parties or book fairs. Say you are hosting a party for a friend name Jane. The direct link to her shopping page on your Usborne site is https://n4143.myubam.com/Event/608744. Rather than sending that long and hard to remember link to everyone you could set up http://jane.yourdomain.com and have it redirect to Jane’s party page https://n4143.myubam.com/Event/608744 on your Usborne site.
Subdomains are setup using the same steps 4-10 above except when you get to step 8 you would select Subdomain instead of forwarding the full domain.